Giroux Amburn, P.C.

Closed Head Injury

Supporting Families When a Bump Turns Out to Be Much Worse

Sometimes, a bump on the head is just that. But when it’s much worse than a simple scrape, the personal injury attorneys at Giroux Amburn, Southfield know what it takes to make the legal system work for you.

A closed head injury is a type of trauma in which the brain is injured by a sudden blow to the head or a sudden motion that causes the brain to knock against the skull. Unlike an open head injury, closed head injuries do not have any open wounds or penetration of the head, which means that the injury may appear less severe than it actually is.

But closed head injuries are just as dangerous (if not more dangerous) than open head injuries.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are approximately 1.7 million traumatic brain injury cases in the United States each year. And yet, each case is unique. Some long-term effects may last a lifetime, and others may become more severe with time.

Some common effects of a closed head injury include:

  • Mood swings
  • Memory loss
  • Sensory problems, such as blurred vision, ringing ears, changes in the sense of smell, or a bad taste in the mouth
  • Increased light sensitivity
  • Impaired language skills
  • Loss of consciousness or coma
  • Increased risk of seizures
  • Impaired cognitive function
  • Partial or complete paralysis
  • Increased risk for degenerative conditions

Did you or a loved one suffer a closed head injury due to any of the following?

If so, don’t hesitate to get the help you need.

At Giroux Amburn, we take pride in treating our clients like members of our own family. We go the extra mile to meet our clients where they need us and to learn every detail of your case so that we can help you make educated decisions about your case and educate a jury in your favor.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are my civil rights?

Generally speaking, your civil rights are those enumerated under the US Constitution and legislative acts. Civil rights are typically those considered to be related to an individual’s political and social freedom and equality.  These rights range from your right to free speech to your right to an attorney.

Q: What rights do I have if I’ve been arrested?

The most important rights to consider if you’ve been arrested or picked up by police are the right to an attorney, the right to avoid self-incrimination, and the right not to be unlawfully detained. You can always refuse to answer questions and request an attorney. If you have not been formally placed under arrest, you have the right to leave police custody. If you’ve been placed under arrest, the police have a certain amount of time they can hold you without formally filing charges. Even after you have been formally charged, you have the right to request a non-punitive bail, which can be granted or denied at the judge’s discretion.

Q: What is the statute of limitations for a civil rights claim?

Depending on the claims alleged, civil rights violations have varying statutes of limitations under state law. Federal courts typically apply the laws of the forum state in assessing the applicable statute of limitations. If you believe your rights have been violated, you should speak to a lawyer immediately.

Q: What are common types of civil rights claims?

Technically, a civil rights claim can be any act that in some way has infringed upon an individual’s autonomy.  The most common types of civil rights claims involve abuse by government actors, such as police brutality or misconduct, or agencies, wrongful termination, and employment discrimination.

Q: I believe my rights have been violated by the government or one of its officers. Do I have a claim?

Government actors and officers are protected by governmental and qualified immunity that bars claims. However, if it can be proven that the government or its officer acted with gross indifference or acted in a way that serves as an exception to their governmental immunity, you can pursue a claim.

Q: What is a 1983 complaint?

The most common type of civil rights claim is a federal 1983 claim. 1983 claims are those raised under 42 USC 1983, which governs the actions of governmental agents, like police officers. 1983 claims are often asserted when an individual has been assaulted by a police officer, a government funded institution commits a tort, or an individual suffers an injury or death while incarcerated.

Q: Can I file a civil rights claim on behalf of a family member or friend?

You can only file a civil rights claim on behalf of someone other than yourself if one of the following exceptions applies: wrongful death cases, an incapacitated plaintiff, a minor plaintiff, or a class action case.

Q: What is the difference between a civil and a criminal violation of civil rights?

A criminal civil rights violation involves the use or threat of force. A civil violation of civil rights involves no violence, only discriminatory behavior. Criminal violations carry incarceration penalties, while civil violations carry monetary penalties.

Recent Posts

Why You Need to Collect Truck Driver Data After a Car Accident

A truck accident is one of the most devastating accidents you can experience on the road. Basic physics just isn’t in your favor—trucks are 20 to 30 times heavier than passenger...

Read More

What is a Black Box and How Can It Contribute to My Auto Accident Case?

If you’ve bought a car in the last several years, chances are that it comes with an extra feature you didn’t know about—a “black box” which records critical information about your...

Read More

How Weather Reports Can Support Your Case in Weather Related Car Accidents

A car accident involves a cross-section of any number of factors. Some you can control, some you can’t. For example, while you can control your wipers and headlights, you can’t control...

Read More

How Car Accident Photos Can Help Support Your Lawsuit

From parking lot fender-benders to terrifying highway pileups, car accidents happen every day and they have a way of catching us off guard. But unlike many other incidents, car accident evidence...

Read More

Visit Our Blog

Do you have a case?
We can help.

Free Consultation

For a free, quick, and confidential case review, submit your information below.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.